Tuesday, November 19, 2013

AUDIOBOOKS WHILE PAINTING

You haven't heard from me because I'm busy painting. I don't have time to do anything including do normal human activities. Sigh.

Since the start of my new book, these are the audiobooks I have listened to while painting thus far:

THE MAN WHO MISTOOK HIS WIFE FOR A HAT
Oliver Sacks
- I wasn't as interested in this as I would have been if a lot of the medical "mysteries" weren't mysteries anymore. For instance, the man who could not recognize faces is no longer alone. A famous example is Chuck Close the painter: he was interviewed recently on 60 minutes and spoke of his fascination with faces because he could not recognize even his wife's. This book was written in the 70s I believe with updates added at the end of each section. The updates are in doctor speak and I sort of spaced out when those were read.

THE RACKETEER
John Grisham
It was entertaining for what it was. There were so many unrealistic parts to it that I couldn't fully get into the mystery of it all.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
David Finkel
I really recommend this book. So many soldiers come back from the war with brain damage. The suicide rate is high. Their demeanor changes it's not just them who suffers. This book talks about the wives who have to deal with these "invisible" war wounds. It's a sad tale but one that needed to be told.

A WALK IN THE WOODS
Bill Bryson
My dad had hiked part of the Appalachian Trail and had told of people who immerced themselves in the "culture" of the trail. This is an interesting read and made me want to check out the trail for myself.

WHAT CAME BEFORE HE SHOT HER
Elizabeth George
This is extremely well written. It's also a very good story.

DIVERGENT
Venonica Roth
Eh. That's all I have to say about this one.

THE STRANGER BESIDE ME
Ann Rule
This was very compelling. Now I know what you're thinking: here I am painting a kids' book and I'm listening to the true story of Ted Bundy. Hmmm. But I need to keep my mind occupied! And occupied it was kept. Ann Rule worked with Ted at a call center. She was a crime writer who was eventually assigned the job to write about the murders that Ted committed before she knew that he committed them.  Intriguing to say the least. Even though Ann had written about the criminal mind, she too was fooled by this charming psychopath.

THE IMMORTAL LOVE OF HENRIETTA LACKS
Rebecca Skloot
I'm not finished with this yet - halfway through - but it certainly is interesting. What is called the HeLa Cell and is used in everything and has even been sent up into outer space first started with cancer cells taken from Henrietta Lacks. The author goes on a hunt to look for Lacks's relatives to find out who Henrietta was.

No comments:

Post a Comment