Thursday, March 10, 2011

USING PHOTO REFERENCES



Isn't the above photo amazing? These are distant relatives! Of some sort... This is on a tintype. I've gotten to the point where I can sort of recognize outfits and items and tell you the approximate time period. I'm especially good at the 30s, 40s, and 50s. But thank goodness for the internet! When I went to RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) we used to have what was called a "clipping file." You would walk up to the desk where to students would work and ask for a subject. "Hey, what's up? I'd like stuff on cars." They the student would bring you back several folders of cut magazine photos on cars. I wonder what happened to it. I'm sure it's not there anymore. But who knows with that place. Maybe it's still there. RISD's a little nutty. But now all you need is Google Images and up comes all you could ever dream of! People put up photos of EVERYTHING.


(...like...what is THAT??)

And you get photos from all over the world. PLUS image databases like Corbis, which sells the photos, places samples to look at. I don't care if there's a big copyright symbol plopped on top--I can still see it!

And gosh, people put up hilarious photos like this:
(yes, I digress... but I want to end on a good note....)






(I had to add the black circle. It was a little racy, if you know what I mean)

No comments:

Post a Comment