Thursday, September 15, 2011

JUDGING ART

Twice this week I've had conversations with people about judging art. The first was when I was in the break room at work. I was looking at Selznick's new book.

I like the video for it:



Since I'm very into making videos for my books I wish I could figure out how to cut out the images and make them into different plains like they did... but I digress.

Anyway, I was looking at the book and someone who works in the kids dept. asked if I was going to buy the book. I said that I was just looking at it. I wanted to look at the art. She asked if I liked it. I told her what I thought. She said that she didn't know how to judge art so she didn't have an opinion. I said, "Well, do you like this or don't you?" She said she thought it was okay. She said she didn't love it but didn't hate it. I said, "So you DO have an opinion. You can judge art." Just because I went to art school and I can verbalize WHY I like or don't like or am indifferent to something doesn't mean that I'm a better judge than anyone else. I think people who weren't schooled are afraid to give their opinion because it won't be the right one. Do you like it? Do you hate it? Are you just okay with it? That's all that matters! Go with your gut. That's all there is to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment